Wednesday, June 26, 2013

STEM CELL TRANSPLANT STEP 1: MEDICAL EVALUATION

DONOR NEWS!!

I learned this week that my life saving blood stem cell donor is a 22 year old man who lives outside the United States. He has agreed to the stem cell collection schedule my doctor proposed. How cool is that?! Young, healthy stem cells ~ it doesn't get any better.  As a patient, I am grateful that this young man agreed to take time out of his summer to save my life.  As a mother, I feel a sense of pride that this young person learned about the need for bone marrow/stem cell donors, joined the registry, and agreed to help a stranger in another country.  Both my kids say they hope they can do for someone what this young man is giving me. I get teary every time I think about this.

As people share wishes, prayers, and positive thoughts for my health, I ask that you include my selfless, nameless donor in those efforts. 

COUNTDOWN TO TRANSPLANT

We are ONE MONTH from my Re-birthday! The process begins with a thorough Medical Evaluation. Tomorrow (June 27, 2013) is my big test day.

7:00 am:   Pre-BMT labs, Vitals
   I was told they will draw the blood from my Power Port, so I take that to mean they need a lot of blood.

7:30 am:     Drink jug of Barium.  What a refreshing treat!

8:00 am:     Bone Marrow Biopsy   [need another 'tag line' for my rump!]

8:30 am:     Meet with Clinical Health Psychologist  (this one is most worrisome ~ what if they realize I'm a bit nuts?)

9:00 am:     Meet with Research

10:00 am:    Pulmonary Function Test w/DLCO

10:30 am:    Meet with Atlanta Blood Services re: my need for platelet donors

11:00 am:    Register for CT scans

11:30 am:    CT scan of Brain / Chest / Abdomen / Pelvis

1:00 pm:     Lunch (probably the highlight of my day)

1:30 pm:     Register for Echocardiogram/EKG

2:00 pm:     Echocardiogram

It is no secret that among my numerous quirks, I have 'text anxiety.' 
Whether it's my car's emissions test, the vision test to renew my driver's license, or weekly blood tests, I get a rush of the 'heebie jeebie jitters'. This may not yet be a recognized technical term, I think you know what I mean.  

To calm those jitters, I mindfully picture the test administrator in his/her underwear and focus on my breathing. 

In this situation, I recognize that all these tests will form a baseline of the health status of all my systems pre-transplant. My biggest threat to surviving the transplant is organ failure. The results of these tests enable the doctors to anticipate issues that may arise during chemo and post-transplant and plan accordingly.  

I will find out the results of all these tests on my Education Day, scheduled for July 10th.
As the song goes, the waiting is the hardest part.


1 comment:

Bonnie Evans said...

Funny you tell us about your test anxiety. I have the same thing. I'm fact I have nightmares of missing a test that I was already nervous about.

Each day is one step closer to your rebirth. We celebrate the young man and pray for goodness to,come to him.

I love your optimism, drive, intelligence, warmth, humor and your friendship.

Love ya,
Bonnie Evans